Call for poster – Minds and Societies 2008 Summer Institute in Cognitive Science
Call for Posters
The Minds and Societies Summer Institute in Cognitive Science
June 27 – July 6, 2008
Université du Québec à Montréal, Montréal, Canada
A Summer Institute organized by the Université du Québec à Montréal’s Cognitive Science Institute
(Pdf version of this call can be found here:
The main theme of the Minds and Societies Summer Institute is social cognition, understood both from a psychological and community point of
views. From a psychological point of view, the fundamental problem of social cognition is to understand how the human mind processes social information; how it detects, categorizes and applies it in social situations. From a community point of view, the question is understanding how individual
cognition is influenced, perhaps even improved and increased, or indeed hampered, by social interactions, for example by communicating and
collaborating with intelligent agents, natural and artificial. The two dimensions of social cognition are linked, in that the psychological
dimension makes the community dimension possible, and the latter can in return modify the first. More information about the Summer Institute’s
content can be found on its website: http://www.summer08.isc.uqam.ca
REFEREED POSTER SUBMISSIONS
Successful posters are carefully designed to convey ideas. They should also attract the attention of attendees as they stroll past the displays. The
goal is to develop a poster that encourages and facilitates small groups of individuals interested in an issue to gather and interact.
Posters will be reviewed and selected by the Poster Committee. An award will be given at the conference for the best poster.
Submissions must include an abstract of up to 400 words.
Authors of accepted submissions must provide a one or two page summary (and/or an electronic copy of the poster itself) for publication on the
Summer Institute’s web site. These summaries will be posted on the Summer Institute web site one week prior to Summer Institute to give all
participants a chance to review the content of the presentation before the event.
All participants must register, including those presenting a poster.
• The posters will be located in a public area, close to the exhibition, viewable for all conference attendees.
• Posters shall fit in a 1,40×1.40m space. Push pins can be used to attach material to the board.
• A small table on which you can put leaflets or your laptop for a live demo is available upon request.
• The posters are to be set up before the first poster session, on June 30th.
• Someone must be present at the poster to interact with conference attendees on at least one of the two official occasions: July 30th and July
4th. It is also possible, but not required, to be present at other times. Putting a time schedule on the poster is recommended.
• Advice for the preparation of a poster can be found on ISC’s website: http://www.er.uqam.ca/nobel/cogsci2/isc/article.php3?id_article=218. Most of
the content is in French, but some of it is in English.
Submission start: March 3, 2008
Submission due: March 17, 2008
Notification to authors: April 7, 2008
Summary due: May 30, 2008
Poster go up: June 28, 2008
Must be present to discuss poster: June 30 and/or July 4
Please send all inquiries to email@example.com